This post, the eighth in a nine-part series from Dr. Marshall Foster’s insightful book, The American Covenant – The Untold Story, reflects highlights from the last chapter of the book; specifically the need to get back to our Founder’s Christian foundation for America.
How did America loose its Christian morals in the first place? The process occurred slowly over time and Dr. Foster explains how:
“The blame for our current perilous condition must fall upon those of us who say we believe in God and share the legacy of our Founders’ vision. We have forfeited the institutions bequeathed to us by our forefather. They have not been forcibly taken away from us by some overwhelming conspiracy, but we and our fathers simply stopped teaching the Bible’s nation-building principles to ourselves and our children.”Dr. Marshall Foster
The Founders, many with a vast education in Bible history and the demise of many European tyrannical governments, believed in and acknowledged Christian self-government. They learned this from certain leaders including John Witherspoon, a devout pastor and president of College of New Jersey (Princeton University) from 1768-94. Witherspoon is also a signer of The Declaration of Independence.
Men like John Witherspoon stood strong for Biblical Christian morals. They believed in the teachings of the Bible and were themselves teachers of the Truth.
Joshua 1:8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Dr. Foster proclaims America prospered from the leadership of our devoted Christian Founders who followed God’s Law and taught it to our children generation after generation:
“It has been the presupposition of this study that a proper understanding of Biblical Christianity, lived out in the lives of individuals and institution, has brought the greatest degree of liberty, prosperity, creativity, and peace that the world has known. There have been aberrations of this truth, as men, desiring to hide themselves behind the religious symbol of the cross, have pillaged nations on so-called Crusades, put men in slavery, and persecuted Jews. But a perusal of history, as seen in this volume, shows that these atrocities do not represent the philosophy or methodology of Jesus and the apostles or of true Christianity. The authentic Founder of Christianity never called for an external theocracy but offered freely an internal transformation of life that would lead to external transformations of society and to better life for all.”Dr. Marshall Foster
Our Founders, well versed in Joshua 1:8, would also have been painfully aware of Ezekiel 16:59, 1 Kings 11:11, Hebrews 8:9, Judges 2:20 and many other verses which prophetically state calamity will fall on those who break their covenant with God.
America, it is heartbreaking to patriots devoted to Christ to finally realize our nation has generationally been breaking our Founder’s covenant–America’s original covenant with God Himself.
Also, of great importance to God, is our negligence in teaching our young about His story in America…His true History. America’s lost educational system has practically erased God from our children’s history books, except for Christian schools and some home schooling. Thankfully, because of the work of Dr. Foster and those like Kirk Cameron who are working to bring this inaccuracy to all of America’s attention it’s not too late to make a change.
It’s not too late to bring ourselves before God, repent, ask for forgiveness, and correct the false narrative of history aimed at our children.
Dr. Foster points to the five step Biblical strategy, the Shema found in Deuteronomy 6:4-12, used as instruction to raise a Christian child. It is also considered to be one of the most important prayers in Judaism.
- Know God: His Character and Attributes – Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
- Love the Lord: Personal Relationship and Faith – You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
- Teach God’s Truth to Your Children – These words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and you shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
- Mark Yourself, Your Home, and Your Business with Obedience o God’s Law – You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
- Expect Blessings for You and Your Children dor One Thousand Generations – And when the LORD your God brings you into the land that He swore to your fathers…to give you–withgreatand good cities that you did not build, and houses full of all good things that you did not fill, and cisterns that you did not dig, and vineyards and olive trees that you did not plant,… take care lest you forget the LORD.
In the last paragraph of Chapter 8 Dr. Foster sums up the only hope America has for a prosperous future:
Our rededication to the American Covenant is the only hope for the survival of our republic. By trusting in the Almighty, Who is Master of all, we can walk with Him in covenant, following his strategy for success.Dr. Marshall Foster
Read more about, The American Covenant – The Untold Story:
- Part 1 of 9 – Remember God’s History In America
- Part 2 of 9 – America Acknowledges God’s Providence
- Part 3 of 9 – Our Purpose In America
- Part 4 of 9 – America, Our Liberty Is Through Christ
- Part 5 of 9 – America’s Government Founded On Christian Principles
- Part 6 of 9 – God Has Property Ownership Of America
- Part 7 of 9 – America Arose From Christian Thinking
- Part 9 of 9 – America’s Covenant With God – Lest We Forget
ARE YOU A FOLLOWER OF JESUS?
Have you invited Jesus into your heart? Now is the perfect time. Pray this sinner’s prayer found at Gotquestions.com. Through Jesus you will receive hope that He alone offers.
“God, I know that I am a sinner. I know that I deserve the consequences of my sin. However, I am trusting in Jesus Christ as my Savior. I believe that His death and resurrection provided for my forgiveness. I trust in Jesus and Jesus alone as my personal Lord and Savior. Thank you Lord, for saving me and forgiving me! Amen!”
Share: America, Let Us Revive Christian Morals, on Facebook.