The last seven weeks have been devoted to sharing the person of Jesus. The posts explain who He is, why He came down to us, and what He did for us through His death on the cross.
Most critically, the posts point to the need to believe that three days after Jesus’ death on Calgary hill, He rose from the dead, then forty days later ascended into heaven!
When we believe Jesus is the The Son of the Most High God, that He came to share and live God’s word, and that His death then resurrection occurred, life as we know it changes.
The moment we believe, Holy Spirit enters us! His job is to continually encourage us to live as Christ taught us to live, through love. But, since we are human – sin happens. Sadly, there is no way around sin. All of humanity continually sin in thought, word and deed.
Thankfully, Jesus Christ also taught us to confess and repent with a heartfelt, I’m sorry, after we commit sin. And though we do sin and fall short of God’s glory, when we believe in Christ we are assured of living in His presence for eternity. But, you may ask:
Where does my assurance of eternal life come from?
The following seven verses share assurance of eternal life for believers. The first three verses are Jesus in His own words. The last four verses were written to illustrate the teachings of Christ.
1.John 5:24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.
2. John 6:47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.
3. John 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
4. Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
5. 2 Timothy 2:10-13 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself.
6. Hebrews 7:25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
7. 1 John 5:12-13 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
Throughout the history of the Bible, when God’s people believe and have faith in Him, God never turns His back on them:
Joshua 21:45 Not one of all the LORD‘s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
God promised and delivered over two million people in the exodus from Egypt. But in the midst of their journey, God’s chosen people who were fleeing slavery lost their faith in God. In the end, it was only two from the original millions, Caleb and Joshua, who entered the promised land. Why? Because only Caleb and Joshua believed God’s promise.
Jump ahead approximately 1,300 hundred years later, and an empty tomb offers God’s new promise.
God offers one way to eternal life and that is through Jesus Christ.
1 John 5:5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes the Jesus is the Son of God.
Everyone, as declared by God in the Bible – His word inerrant and created in the beginning, is offered eternal life through Jesus Christ. All that God asks in return is that we believe.
If you are not assured of your place in heaven, pray this sinner’s prayer, copied from gotquestions.org right now: